I am the yin and the yang.
I will seek solutions while others cast blame.
I will quell hostility with tranquility.
I will meet mistrust with honesty,
frustration with compassion,
and ignorance with explanation.
I will rise to a challenge,
conquer my fears with confidence,
and become enlightened.
I am who I choose to be.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

At what cost?

Ἂν ἔτι μίαν μάχην νικήσωμεν, ἀπολώλαμεν"
("One more such victory will undo me!")
-- Pyrrhus of Epirus

Now that Mr Kennedy has taken it upon himself to start grinding down what little bits were left after Cameron's flogging, we'll soon be out of both "responsible" parties and actual responsible parties.  And hey, why not another inquiry?  Let's take yet another big pile of taxpayer money and devote it to carefully scrutinizing the problems and finding a bevy of scapegoats rather than actually addressing any of the issues.  When we're done that inquiry, I have a suggestion for another: an inquiry into the impact on morale and consequent diminished quality of services as a result of the previous two inquiries.  Then that can be followed shortly after by a government sponsored study on the increased "brain-drain" in the medical profession.  A follow-up inquiry could be launched into the role the media played in each of the previous inquiries and studies, and whether their involvement was biased or balanced, good or unnecessary journalism, within or outside the bounds of the Limitation of Harm principle.  We'd have water cooler talk for a decade to come! 

And then, when the decade is out, conversation can turn to whether or not the government should cover the costs of the live chickens you're required to bring to the witchdoctor when you go for your checkup.